Monday, November 7, 2011

Blog 12: 5S

For my 5S project, I organized a messy work area.  While doing so I assessed the 8S's discussed in class.  The first S is for Sorting:  I disposed of unneeded papers and materials, and stored tools that weren't frequently used to reduce clutter.
The second S stands for Straightening:  To exercise straightening, I grouped together writing utensils by type, and found a home for all of the materials that are used on a regular basis.  This will make materials easily accessible when needed.
For the third S, Sweeping:  I dusted, and vacuumed the work area.  I placed a garbage can under the desk to make cleaning easier and I put an air freshener in the room to provide a fresh aroma.
The next S is for  Standardizing.  This S will be practiced in daily and weekly cleaning routines.  When things are reorganized, they will go back in their places so that they can be easily found.
To go along with standardizing, the next S, Sustaining the discipline, allows for change where it is fit.  Over time, the materials used at this work place may vary, therefore it's important to periodically reassess the needs of the work place.
Safety is the next S that is sometimes included in the 5S process. For this work space, I stored sharp objects out of immediate reach, so that they are not accidentally grabbed.  I also made sure that proper power strips were used so that circuits were not blown.
For Security, I made sure that window fixtures had proper locks and that the server being used was password protected.
The final S, Satisfaction, can be assessed after the re-organized work space is used.  The worker can make suggestions and describe features that they would change.  The work space can then be re-adjusted to accommodate for the the workers needs and preferences.

Before
After


No comments:

Post a Comment