Monday, December 5, 2011

Blog 15: Entrepreneurship



The item that impacted me most from the entrepreneurship discussion in class was having time for your family.  That is something that I value greatly.  One of the sites presented to us in class said that entrepreneurs have more time for themselves and for their families; in my experience I don't think this is true.  All of the entrepreneurs I have worked with appear to be so consumed in their work that they don't have much free time to be with their families.  They may be able to make their own schedules and make time for certain family events, but aside from that they work the longest hours out of any employee and often bring their work home with them.  Typically entrepreneurs do things that they love, but that lifestyle seems more stressful to me; it would be nearly impossible to escape work.  I know this from first hand experience too.  My mom is a small business owner, and my family hardly takes vacations because of it; but when we have she is often to worried about her business to be able to really relax on vacation.  


My career goals are to be a physical therapist, and at least for my first 10 years I know that I don't want to have my own clinic.  My passion is helping people and working with the human body.  So, I'm not saying that I want to be a business person, I just want to do what I love.  I want to help people move and teach them how to maintain their physical health.  I don't want to deal with hiring, firing, bills, insurance companies and other managerial duties.  I hope to find a job that would be flexible with my children's schedules so that I don't miss out on their events.


I think I fall in a different category from the classic "business person" or "entrepreneur"; I do want to be innovative in my treatments, so in that sense I will be a type of an entrepreneur.  There are new modalities, techniques, and areas of expertise being developed constantly in physical therapy; I aspire to be on the cutting edge of that technology.  I just don't want the responsibilities of running a clinic, I would rather focus all of my attention on the patients.  

No comments:

Post a Comment